Stainless Steel Sinks Care Guide
Bristol Sinks are constructed within Canada's specifications using high-grade type 304 stainless steel. Our stainless steel sinks are made to withstand the test of time and following these simple guidelines will ensure a lifetime of timeless elegance, even with regular day to day wear and tear.
Stainless steel is the first choice for kitchen sinks, however, it is not indestructible. Daily attention to your sink's appearance is definitely the key to a much longer life. Follow these simple guidelines for care and cleaning. Stainless steel is the first choice for kitchen sinks even though it’s not indestructible.
Follow these simple guidelines for Care.
- Daily cleaning with a mild soapy sponge or cloth is recommended. Always rinse thoroughly with warm water after each use and dry with a towel using a dabbing motion. This will help slow down the formation of mineral deposits and staining caused by some cleaners which may contain chlorides.
- Periodically your sink may require a more aggressive cleaning. This will assist in removing any surface buildup that occurs from time to time from solutions such as hard water, tea, coffee and foods containing high quantities of salt or acids.
- Avoid standing solutions of dishwashing detergent or bleaches containing chlorine. These solutions, over a period of time, will cause pitting on the surface of the sink.
- Avoid use of protective rubber dish mats which trap water and minerals underneath. This could cause spotting or mineral deposits forming on the sink surface. An alternate solution would be to purchase our custom stainless steel grids, giving your sink the ultimate protection and a custom beautiful appearance.
- Type 304 Stainless Steel will not rust, however, it is possible for surface rust to form on the sink surface caused by oxidation or a buildup of iron particles from using specific items such as steel wool pads, pots, utensils, canned goods, etc. This surface rust is easily removed with a fine Scotch Brite pad.
- Scratches will occur in your stainless steel sink basically through everyday use. Over time and with use, our sinks will form a lovely patina & scratches will not be so obvious. One way to avoid scratching is to purchase our stainless steel grids, which will keep items away from the direct surface of the sink.
- Any serious scratches or cleaning are best handled with an abrasive non metallic pad such as a green Scotch Brite pad .Use a cleaning compound such as CLR Metal Clear or Bar Keepers Friend along with the pad. Rub aggressively in the direction of the grain to help polish the surface & blend in the scratches. Please note that you will not be able to restore the sink to its original finish however, the scratches will become less noticeable.